Reviews

I've got the kettle on, ya got a minute to visit?

I'm so happy you dropped by! Stay and visit awhile.

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Repairing your spouse.....

Here's another Daily Essential I wrote nearly eight years ago.  This one hits pretty close to home today.  Isn't it funny how the Lord leads you to words in the season that you need to hear them...2005 or 2013?!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time Out: The Quiet Time Devotional for Busy Moms (Inspirational Library)

Do you ever feel like there is something you would like to "repair" about your spouse? Messy? Not attentive? Not spontaneous? I've been married for 9 years and I don't know about you, but I was sure I would have made all of the necessary repairs to Andy that he would have needed by now! I mean come on! 9 years is plenty of time to take care of all of those little idiosyncrasies, right? (I'm sure I don't have ANY!) :o)
I have this 2 minute devotion book titled Time Out: A Quiet-Time Devotional for Busy Moms that I read when the kids go down for their naps or at night as I'm easing into bed. Leigh Ann Thomas, the author, felt this exact same way and had an exercise at a marriage enrichment weekend totally change her view. She said the exercise began by each couple sitting and facing their spouse. They would then hold hands, look at each other, and think of all those hands do for them day by day. Wow.....just think of it......
My husband gets up every morning and goes to work where his hands earn us food, a roof over our heads, clothes, zoo camp, and diapers. I have seen his hands hold his children moments after being removed from my body and while they are crying because they have hurt themselves, or because they do not want to say good-bye to him. I've seen blisters on his hands from cutting grass, trimming hedges, raking leaves and doing all of the things I hate so we will have a nice place to call "ours". I've seen those beautiful hands serve me communion and hold a baseball bat to teach children how to play softball in England, hoping that he may have a moment to reflect Christ's love to them because they don't know what it looks like. (And now I'm crying.)
The point of this is, God has made and designed our spouses. God will work THEM into His perfection. He will work US into His perfection, because don't think for a moment your spouse doesn't have some "repairs" in mind for you! :o) Whenever you become irritated or run out of patience, take a look at those beautiful and blessed hands. Below are the scriptures Leigh Ann Thomas gives and a prayer she offers. Won't you say it from the heart for your spouse?
Psalm 112:1
Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who finds great delight in His commands.
Psalm 1:1-2
Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.
Father,
Thank you so much for giving me a life partner. You've given me a sweetheart and a best friend. I lift my spouse up to You, Lord, and I pray that they will continue to grow in Your strength and wisdom.
Amen

No comments: